Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Getting things done

Look at this! 2 days in a row. lol. I guess if I do all my computer stuff all at once I'm in good shape. :)

Yesterday was a busy day. Started off doing regular Monday chores, changing sheets, taking out the trash, etc. I pulled some chicken backs and wings out of the freezer and started some stock so I'd have enough for Thanksgiving. I'm always amazed at how much stock I use with that meal. It's still bubbling away in my crockpot. I let it simmer for 24 hours before I strain it and can it. It makes the house smell so good! The next item on the list was working on a quilt repair. I'm so close to being done that I can almost taste it. 5 more patches to replace and it's finished. I'll do that today. I worked on it 2 hours yesterday. Then a lovely neighbor came over with his wood splitter and we worked for an hour on one of the piles of wood to get it split and stacked. He and his friend split and I stacked. We got quite a bit done, 3 stacks 4 feet tall and 9 feet wide. That got us about halfway through one of the the 3 piles of wood in the backyard. I guess we had way more than I thought we did. I need to get the ax sharpened next time the scissor man is at the shop. We still have a long way to go. Now that DH is only working one job, he'll have more time to work on the pile, but I thought I'd get him started.

Next I worked on a Christmas gift for a while and then it was about time to start dinner. DH had to work late last night, so I cooked a nice meal just for me which I think is always weird. But he has to come home sometimes and having a nice plate of food waiting is the best welcome home.

After that, I switched over to working on the shop sample for the Civil War Tribute quilt block of the month. I volunteered to make it since I can't afford to sign up for the BOM. I make it, I keep it. Those are the new rules. I made 2 blocks last night which was all of month one. I'll cut out month 2 this afternoon and work on it this evening. I put my handcrank on the coffee table and sat in front of the fireplace while I worked. It was nice. Our very first fire.

Cold front came in. It's 38 degrees right now. Lucky for me I have a cat in my lap.

I need to get busy. I'm going to finish that repair job, meet with another client about baby bedding and start cutting down the asparagus ferns. My gardening book says to cut them down when they turn brown in the late summer/fall, but they never do. I guess November 17th is late enough. After that, it will be Civil War blocks and maybe I'll dig through my own pile for a quick project and get that taken care of.

Have a great day!

No comments: