Monday, October 22, 2007

Rainy Monday

I watched the weather the other night and knew that a cold front was heading our way. It was almost 90 degrees here and very windy yesterday, so I went ahead and did a bunch of laundry and brought in some firewood and made some firestarters (dryer lint and wax) and got prepared. It was 73 when I went to bed and the front got here about 2am. Now it's 48 degrees and very rainy and I'm SO glad that I did all the laundry yesterday. I hang everything on the line. I had also stuffed the chicken coop with about 1/2 bale of hay so they could stay snug and warm. I think I'll leave them in the coop today, they'll fare better. More shelter and more bedding for them. If I let them out of their warm, dry coop to range about the yard, they'll run around wet looking for a dry spot never thinking that perhaps the coop would be a good place to be. Silly chickens. I will be making some plastic storm windows to wire to the outside of the coop to make them a winter shelter. Sort of a greenhouse type situation. In the summer, I let the vines grow up the side and top of the coop to shade them, but in the winter they need some protection against the cold wind and the rain.

Gotta get busy. I slept in this morning and am behind schedule.

No comments: