Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Damn, I'm getting old....

Tomorrow will be my youngest child's first foray out into the world with just a friend. She's going to a concert. Now, don't get me wrong. She's been to lots of concerts. In fact, her first concert, at the tender age of 10, was Linkin Park. Her brother, then 16 promised her the show. He bought them both pit tickets, arrived an hour before the show and stayed at the barrier the whole time. She even touched the hand of one of the performers. At the time, I said that she was spoiled for any show after that. She's been to Warped Tour a few times and we even went to Edgefest last year to see My Chemical Romance and The Killers. Pit tickets, AWESOME show. But this time is different. She's going with her best friend. No brother, no parents....just her and BFF. I know they'll be okay. But still. *SHE'S JUST A BABY!* Of course, she IS 16, studying for her second SAT and working on her college app b/c she'll be graduating this year. And the show will most likely be full of several thousand other teenaged girls and not too many boys. It's Panic at the Disco/Dashboard Confessional. And her brother already had his license and a car and a job by this point and routinely headed out to see shows around the metroplex. So, why is this so different? Is it because she's a girl? Is it because she's my baby? Is it because I just don't want to admit that my youngest child is almost a grownup? I just don't get it. I'm dropping them off and BFF's dad is picking up. I'm sure I'll be waiting up for her, trying to figure this whole thing out. And she'll be fine and say "Aw mom, you didn't need to wait up for me".

I'll let you know how it goes. :)

best wishes!

No comments: