Monday, November 3, 2008

October

Halloween has come and gone. *sigh* Our favorite holiday. We did drag it out through the weekend though. I had a Halloween party to go to Saturday and then my nephew, JT, came over last night to watch scary movies with us. A tradition of sorts. But today, all the jack o' lanterns got put away, the Headless Horseman was brought in and dismantled and the black candles left the mantle in the living room. So sad.

Yesterday afternoon, C and I went to a book signing of one of our favorite authors, John Green. His new book, "Paper Towns" just came out in October. We picked it up Saturday morning. I finished it yesterday and C finished today. John's brother, Hank (of Ecogeek.com) was there with him and together they make up Brotherhood 2.0 and lead the community of Nerdfighters we belong to. It's a great story, the Nerdfighters. 2 years ago, the brothers decided to go a whole year without any textual communication. They switched off making video blogs (vlogs) and posting them on their website and also on YouTube. People started watching, then more people started watching, then participating and a whole new classification of people was born. All the band geeks and Star Wars groupies and drama kids and everyone else who's ever been called a Nerd, all of a sudden had a community where they fit in and had folks to discuss the latest LOTR movie and Harry Potter book with others who also had the same interests. Nerdfighters fight injustices in the world and "decrease world suck". It's pretty cool. There is now a book club for Nerdfighters, since most of us are avid readers, and a message board and a forum "My Pants". Anyway, the booksigning was the first stop in the Tour de Nerdfighting that is going on across the country. We got our picture with the brothers. It was great fun!

I've got some stuff still growing out in the garden. Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and okra. Lettuce and brussells sprouts. I've just sprouted some beets indoors that will be transplanted outside this week. I've also got some galvanized tubs ready for some lettuces and spinach and herbs to grow overwinter on the front porch. Weird fall, so far. Still in the 80s during the days. I did get all the sunflowers cut down and into the compost pile, plus a few other items that I had let sit.

Working on items to put up in my Etsy store. All I've got up now are 2 Doodlestein patterns and a Halloween trick or treat bag, but I've got 2 quilts almost done for it and some aprons that we need to photograph and post. It's a great site. I've taken the Handmade pledge, to give gifts that were handmade either by me or by another and to not shop the big stores. Time to give unique gifts, so I'm doing my best to decide what those that I love would like.

I guess that's about it for today. And no, I still haven't finished the hallway. :)

peace out,

Deb

ps: Don't forget to vote!

No comments: