Thursday, October 18, 2007

It's been a while

Yeah, I know. I think it's be 9 days since my last post. I really do need to more consistant. I think I need to decide on a time of day when it's my blog time. Oh well, I'm here now and that's all that matters.

Gosh, so much has come and gone since I last posted. I've been working on donation quilts and I was able to get my onions planted last week and we cleaned the shed and started working on the hallway. We are "restoring" the house we live in. It's an old Craftsman Style home built between 1907 and 1911, not sure of the exact date. It's very difficult to work on since we're using it and it's small. No extra rooms to store everything in while we work in one particular area. We did my daughter's room and she lived in the living room for 4 months and finally got tired of it and moved back in. There's still a few things we need to do in there, but we did manage to rebuild all her windows which are the original double hung windows and refinish the floor. We have hard wood through the whole house, all of it original. We renovated the bathroom almost 2 years ago, down to the sub floor which was rotting out due to really bad upgrades in the 60's or 70's. We only have one bathroom, so we did the whole thing in a week. The church that I live next door to was kind enough to leave a door unlocked so that we could use their restrooms. I believe that we went 4 days with no water or fixtures.

So now, my daughter and I are doing the "hallway". It's a small room about 5 x 9 that connects the sewing room, the bathroom, my daughter's room and my room. Sort of a hub. It's very dark and dingy, with old off colored paint peeling off the woodwork and the sheetrock tape peeling. It's our reward for getting things done. I designate a job in there and if she gets her schoolwork done by 2:30, we get to go accomplish that particular step. Today, we are re-taping the sheetrock. It's a skill that I learned when we were re-doing her room, and I'll be teaching her how to do it in the hallway. The exciting part of the project will be the painting. We have chosen a rich pumpkin color and an antique white for all the trim. We also plan on refinishing the floor in there as well. It will be quite nice.

I will do my best to keep up with logging everything that I'm doing.

have a great day!

No comments: