Wednesday, September 24, 2008

All Burned Out

The title says it all. I'm soooo burned out on summer. I'm ready for some cool weather and crisp nights and all that goes with it. We don't get much fall color here in Texas. The leaves sorta turn brown and fall, or just fall off when they're still green. I need to be outside, putting in the fall garden, but it's still in the upper 80s and lower 90s and I just can't bring myself to do much out there. I'm setting a goal for myself though. I've gotta get that stuff in next week. DH will be off next tuesday and he said he'd help with building the new beds and putting up another section of rails for the stick fence. That will complete one whole side of the fence. And then, while I've got the air compressor out, I'll go ahead and get the cornice trim in the hallway put up. I just get so far into a project and then it stalls and I leave it. So weird. So annoying.

I bought a whole bag of "scratch and dent" organic bananas at the grocery store the other day for 50 cents, and this morning I've made a couple of loaves of banana nut bread with cranberries. I'll freeze one and leave one out. Nice healthy snacks for the family.

We had to replace our water heater on monday. Sunday, we smelled gas in the house and found that the bottom of our old water heater had rusted out just enough for a small spray of water to hit directly on the pilot light/burner. We turned everything off and waited for monday morning to call our plumber. We were supposed to have gone camping this weekend, but ended up canceling because the baby chicks weren't old enough to be left for the weekend. Thank goodness for that. If the house hadn't exploded, we would have had extensive water damage. God was watching out for us there.

The banana bread is almost ready to come out of the oven, and it smells really good. I've got a chicken boiling on the stove so I can use the meat in a couple of casseroles. I've got a bunch of okra to process and the rest of the small onions to pickle. I need to baste a vintage quilt top today for hand quilting and C and I have haircuts this afternoon. (Bring on the SASS!) Plenty to keep me busy while I (im)patiently wait for the days when I don't have to run the a/c.

Peace Out,

Deb

No comments: