Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Big snakes and aprons

It's already 8:30am, and I need to report in for what I did the past two days. I know what you're thinking, that I didn't do anything, but you would be wrong! Sunday was great with everybody gone for most of the day. I popped in a DVD of "Python 2" and got to sewing. My future daughter-in-law and I are aficionados of really bad Sci Fi movies, focusing on the "big critter" genre, such as "Frankenfish" and "Sabretooth". I also like the zombie movies, having a soft spot in my heart for the crapfest known as "House of the Dead". We call that one "Zombie Party Island". Anyway, Sunday is my day of rest, when I do no laundry or any other heavy chore and I get to sew on what I want, not a client quilt. I'm involved in an apron exchange with my sewing machine group online. I'll get into that later. Sunday was my day to make my apron. They are supposed to be vintage aprons, so I begged, borrowed and stole (well, bought) a couple of "retro" patterns and my mother supplied me with some (I now own 14 apron patterns) until I found the one I wanted. I used a couple of pieces of fabric from this really cute line called "Katie Jump Rope" and it turned out way cool! The model is my daughter who requested that I crop out her head. So I did. I made 9 yards of 1/4" bias tape for it, and surprisingly really enjoyed the whole process.

Yesterday I got out before it got hot and did some more much needed yard work. I remembered to take the before shot this time. This is the very first garden bed ever built here. It's in it's second form, as the first one was built with scrap lumber and quickly fell to ruin. It's a 10 x 5 bed made with 2 x 8's. My loving husband is great about building me things once I make a plan and purchase materials. This is it's 7th year, and the Bible speaks of letting your fields lie fallow every 7 years. So, for the next year, I'll be using this bed as my composting area, using the trench composting method. I'll (husband) will dig out a 1-2 foot trench and all compost fodder will be thrown in. The trench will be covered when it's full, and then we'll move over and dig another trench and start the process over. It will be used in this method until next fall, then we'll pick the next bed. We seem to build one new bed a year, so we'll just rotate through the garden area. After I weeded and loosened the soil, the chickens helped me out by eating all the bugs. I'm sure they ate some that were helpers, but I know they ate some that I didn't want around.

After the gardening, I worked on a client quilt for most of the day, then made some Halloween pillow shams for the living room and folded laundry.

A good day!

No comments: